20 July 2009

oregon restricting religious freedom!?!

Oregon law bans "religious dress" for teachers

More from CAIR

This is both very sad and completely stupid. How would they even know whether someone is wearing something for religious reasons or not? It basically targets Muslims and other minority religious groups (Orthodox Jewish women, Sikhs, etc).

In France, the situation is similar- public school teachers can't wear hijab because they are supposed to be "secular," and according to the French government, wearing hijab or expressing your religion means you aren't secular or assimilated enough and therefore aren't French enough. Stupid.

When I was in public school, I thought the idea was not to make everyone the same and without any religious or cultural differences; I thought the point of public schools was for people of different backgrounds to meet, become friends and learn to appreciate difference. I still think that. Too bad not everyone sees it that way.

1 comment:

  1. ugh dim wits make me wanna become Ironman. lol that makes a ton of sense, but you get what i mean.

    ReplyDelete