14 July 2009

I promise I am not trying to give anyone the evil eye


So for the record, I am still getting the hang of saying masha'Allah or insha'Allah or the numerous other Arabic terms that I come across. There are probably times when it would be appropriate for me to add it (in a comment on someone's blog or something) and I just don't realize that I should.

This makes me sad that I don't speak any Arabic...not even frarabe (francais + arabe). :(
I have a book that is teaching me the alphabet, but at this rate it's going to be a while before I am more literate than the average Arab preschooler! Oh well, with time I'll improve, insha'Allah (ooooh, see what I did there?).

Anyway, hope nobody gets offended by my ignorance, and if you know of any fun Intro to Arabic books, let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Lol sister, no offense taken! I feel the same way. I wrote a post similar to this lol I actually found this book at a bookstore, I gotta buy and I'll post on my blog so you check it out and insha'allah buy it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't mind me asking. Are you a new Muslim? ( you don't have to answer by no means, it's a very personal question, but I was just curious 'cause of your posts)

    It's great you want to learn Arabic, but by no means is expressing Allah's will and praising Allah should be only expressed in Arabic. It's common to be done around Muslims but I feel if someone's native tongue isn't Arabic, they shouldn't think it's a requirement in being a Muslim. All that said- you'll be surprised how fast you'll learn the Arabic words and how easily it'll get incorporated in your speech. I am an Egyptian Married to an American convert so we discuss a lot of similar topics.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dedra- Thanks, I'd like to read your review!
    @Muslim Hippie- I don't mind the question. The best answer I can give now is that I'm undecided but learning, if that makes sense.
    I agree with your take on learning Arabic, thanks. I like learning languages in general, so part of it is that I am just curious about what other people are saying. :D
    Also, Muslim Hippie is a great (blog) name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol "ohhh see what i did there?" hahahaha

    you crack me up... :P

    Thanks for swingin by my blog, hope to *see* you around more

    ReplyDelete